Mr. Kooiker's 4th Grade Blog

Be Nice • Work Hard • Learn Well

By

A second step…

How is everyone doing? I have asked Mrs. K many times recently, “How many weeks have we been away from school?” She calmly reminds me, “It’s been three days.” As you can tell, I have really missed spending my days with our amazing group of fourth graders.  

Well, I’m ready for another step…are you? We have all been facing challenges over the past few days. Maybe it’s time to tackle a different kind of challenge…like a math challenge. Here it is…

Seth had some marbles that he shared equally with Josh. Then Josh gave half of his marbles to his sister, Elaine. If Elaine received 4 marbles, how many marbles did Seth start with?

Or, how about this one…

A museum holds two crafts days for children. They have enough supplies for 138 projects. On Saturday, 72 children make projects. On Sunday, 57 children make projects. If each child makes one project, does the museum have enough supplies for all the children? Explain how you can use estimation to answer the question.

Okay, one more…

Jenny has $155. She buys 4 framed pictures for $22 each. Then, she buys a book for $18. How much money does Jenny have left?

If you choose to take this step and solve any of these problems, check back tomorrow…I’ll post the answers. We’re also going to have the opportunity to step out on Field Trip Friday tomorrow (not literally, of course)! 🙂